Today I am thankful for football of all things. I really truly cannot believe I am saying that. It took until I was 23 years old for me to really gain an appreciation for the game. Mostly I guess because I didn’t have a freakin clue how it all worked before then. In fact I remember thinking on many occasions as a child that I hated having my birthday in October because it meant everyone would come over to celebrate me by sitting in front of the TV and yelling at bad calls or cheering for touch downs. I am almost ashamed to admit that I was on my high school’s Varsity Cheer squad for football and still hadn’t a clue.
But in my defense all you really needed to know was when we were on offense, defense or scoring a touchdown. I would repeatedly ask for someone to PLEASE sit down and explain the game to me so I understood the downs and yardage and penalties etc. I mean if we were going to scream at the TV, I wanted in! So bless their hearts for trying but every time my dad, grandpa, uncle or even boyfriend would sit down to explain it we would get as far as the first bad call and the yelling would commence and I would be stuck there saying “What? What happened? Hello? I want to yell too!!!”
It wasn’t until I found my dear dear husband that I discovered my love for football. We made it through an entire game with explanations that actually made sense and we love our football Sundays together. We generally cook a large pot of chili, gather all the clean laundry that needs folding, claim our spots on the reclining sofa and tune in to the Green and Gold.
How could we be anything other than Cheeseheads when we live in Wisconsin and I have my very own Aaron Rodgers J




No comments:
Post a Comment