Any whosey … we took the plunge and walked into a new church
this Sunday not knowing quite what to expect.
I likened it to starting a new school half way through the school
year. Especially in this case because we
chose a smaller church and had a pretty good idea that members all knew one
another.
We got there super early … well 7:50 for an 8am service which
is apparently early since the parking lot had exactly 2 cars in it. We decided to take a little cruise through
the village and come back hoping to see some more cars. Phew we were right. All these early risers liked to make it just
in time for the start of the service.
We walked in the doors and followed the line to where the
pastor was handing out the service bulletins.
He made eye contact with me and immediately said “I don’t believe we’ve
met” … such a good warm feeling J At our previous church we were often lost in
the crowd and that community feel just wasn’t there. We often hoped that once our children were
school aged and attending school at the church we would make church
friends. But then it occurred to us that
children may never happen for us … not for a lack of trying I’m just being
realistic. Do we want to wait to feel
like we belong? Okay back to present
tense lol. I introduced myself and hubby
and we were immediately welcomed and thanked for choosing to worship here this
Sunday. We took our seats thinking the
introductions were over and it was going to be smooth sailing from here on
out.
About 5 sentences into the service … “We have some visitors
here with us today, please welcome Don and Amanda” … and there it was. An entire congregation was now staring and
smiling at us. It wasn’t as bad as I had
envisioned in my head but when you have skin as fair as mine the red in your
cheeks gives everything away!!
As soon as the introductions were over it became eerily
clear why God had directed us to this church. The theme of the sermon … Where is God during
the hard times? It was like they were
talking directly to us! I was
dumbfounded. I just could not get over
it. It wasn’t until we got to the sermon
that I couldn’t control the tears. And I
was worried about making it through introductions without embarrassing myself
lol.
We were asked to open the Bible in the pew in front of us
and turn to Psalm 13 - “How long, O Lord?
Will you forget me forever? How
long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day sorrow in my
heart?” This! … this exactly … I have
prayed time and time again and not because I knew it was a verse from the Bible
but because it is heavy on my heart every day while we wait for our family to
be complete. How did they know?! They didn’t know, God knew. He knew that I needed to hear I was not the only
one who had come to him with these words.
And that he hasn’t forgotten me.
That when I remember to bring him what is heavy on my heart he listens
and lifts me up through my faith.
Thankfully by the end of the service my tears had dried and
I had cleaned the mascara from my face.
As we waited patiently to file out we were approached by other members
who wished to introduce themselves and welcome us. It was amazing! We were the last ones out of the church and
waiting for us was the Pastor again who spent 25 minutes getting to know us and
answer any questions we had. It was good … all of it was so SO good. We left feeling uplifted, at home and in awe of
our God. This was the plan … his plan
all along J

What church is this? I am currently looking for that same feel. We go to Mt Zion right now.
ReplyDeleteOur Shepherd in Greendale :)
Delete