If there is anything I learned from infertility it's that people can be really hurtful. What I never expected was for that to carry over into our adoption experience. Like a right handed blind man hitting a 100 mph curve ball over the right field wall ... I never saw that one coming.
I wish to make something very clear from this moment forward. Our adopted child is not a hand me down. Our adopted child will not be treated like a second class citizen. Our adopted child is wanted, has been dreamed about for years, and will experience more love and affection with every breath than many children can imagine experiencing in a lifetime.
I had someone very close to me ask what we could possibly need to register for that we haven't already bought or couldn't just borrow from someone. Borrow. This caught me off guard and really hurt my feelings. As if we (along with our adopted baby) don't deserve anything new. First time parents expecting a biological child register every day and people are excited for them and can't wait to shower them with gifts. All I want is to be treated like every other first time parent excited to be starting a family. We are not recycling someones left overs. Our future child was not unwanted. God doesn't make mistakes. Our child will come into our lives because their birth parent's love is so great they made the ultimate sacrifice. Our child deserves to be showered with the same love as a biological child. Our child deserves the moon and the stars even if I have to provide every last one myself. Biology does not make a family. A real family is built from love. Our family will be built from love.
(I do need to clarify that I have nothing against borrowing or reusing anything. Clearly my Craigslist addiction speaks to this. I don't want anyone to misinterpret the purpose of my post)

I am sorry that people have to be so ignorant. We will shower you, Don and the baby with gifts. I can't wait to go shopping! Keep your chins up and look right past the others. God will have his way with them.
ReplyDeleteAmen!! WELL SAID!!!! XOXOXO my prayers are with you guys!
ReplyDeleteAmanda,
ReplyDeleteI know we have not talked in years, but I want to let you know that I am sending positive thoughts your way. I can tell that you and your husband would make fantastic parents and I hope your dream comes true. My aunts are both hospital social workers in Illinois. I will pass this information on to both of them.