Friday, July 18, 2014

You did what?!

It was Friday June 13th and I was folding laundry. Epic I know ;)
We had a big first birthday party coming up and I was trying my best to get ready. It was then that I got a text. The expectant mom was asking if it was an okay time to call. Her timing was actually perfect. 
She called and we talked just like old friends. She explained how she had connected with a family that was suddenly acting strange and making her feel like her basic needs were unreasonable and refusing to accommodate. My heart was broken for her. I cannot begin to imagine how hard it must be to find the right family to adopt your child only for them to turn out not to be the people you thought they were. 
I told her I was sorry and that I didn't think she should have to compromise on her needs. I explained our adoption situation with Lucas and how we helped his birth mother during the process. I encouraged her to meet with her original family and lay out her needs with a take it or leave it mentality and at least know for sure where they stood and get closure. And if they weren't going to go for it I gave her the name of two friends who live close to her that are approved to adopt as other possible options. I told her she could call me anytime and that I would love to stay in touch. 
Did you just facepalm? I know, I know. 
Honest to God I gave her other waiting families. You think I'm crazy but I had my reasons ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment