This past week we had Luke's follow up visit to the asthma/allergy clinic. Going in I was so very hopeful he would have outgrown some of his food allergies. Here he is waiting patiently to be seen.
Our regular doctor had an emergency so the PA was pinch hitting for him this day. She was amazing and the appointment was sobering to say the least.
Our food allergy bubble had been burst and the scary reality of it all made that a hard day for this momma.
Luke is still allergic to dairy, eggs, fish and now tree nuts. Before his reactions were dermatologic and only required some Benadryl. Not anymore ...
I shared this picture of his last reaction with the doctor and she was appalled. She pointed out the swelling in his face and felt that he most definitely should have been treated with an epi pen here. I sobbed. First I felt like a horrible mother. We pretty much risked his life by just giving him Benadryl but we had no idea. And this meant any future accidental exposures could be deadly!!
I spent the majority of the day calling inquiring about insurance coverage for ambulance transportation and in network ERs. Really scary stuff you never imagined having to look into.
And now the food allergy research begins. Here is what his allergy restrictions look like ...
After taking a little time to wrap our heads around it we say bring it on. We will educate ourselves, lean on our vast support systems, and do everything in our power to protect our little man without letting this define him.
For more information on Food Allergies and how you can get involved I encourage you to visit FAREs website.
This past year we did the FARE walk for Luke's cousin Maddy but this year we will be walking for him too and would love to have your support :)









No comments:
Post a Comment