Thursday, August 9, 2012

Matthew 18:5

At times the kindness of others can be more than you ever imagined possible and I received kindness overload yesterday.  It was a day of tears from start to finish but make no mistake this time they were happy tears.  The day began with finally getting to the previous days mail.  I should preface this story by elaborating a little more about my recent surgery experience.  I have not been able to stop telling everyone I encounter just how amazing the staff in the day surgery wing of the hospital was.  This was not my first rodeo so I have encountered numerous nurses, doctors and anesthesiologists but none even come close to this bunch.  It all began the day before surgery when I had to be at the hospital for my pre-op testing.  Every nurse I interacted with clearly loved their job and wanted to make sure I was comfortable, I knew where I was going and that I had no anxiety about the events scheduled for the following day.  I bragged about them the moment I left and almost couldn't wait to see how the day of my surgery would compare.  It was even better!! From the moment we arrived they made me comfortable, joked around with me, brought me things I wouldn't even have thought to ask for and more!  My anesthesiologist came and we discussed his plan at length and then he asked if it would be okay to lead a prayer with us before surgery, amazing! The worst part of surgery in my opinion is that moment when you say goodbye to your family and get wheeled down the hall to the freezing cold operating room full of strange faces.  We got in there and they again made jokes about who to blame for the ice cold heart monitor patches and covered me in warm blankets until I was fast asleep. Next thing I knew I was waking up back with my husband and sister and had an army of nurses tending to my every need.  In fact they were a step ahead of me the entire time.  Can I get you this or how about that or even replacing my warm blankets every 20 minutes without me asking.  I felt so comfortable I wanted to take them home with me!  If you don't know me I am the biggest wuss when it comes to shots and I knew all along I would be getting one today.  The plan was to give it to me while I was still out but for some reason my insurance didn't like that idea so they had to wait until right before I was being discharged.  She could tell I was dreading it but when the time came I didn't feel a thing.  Is it possible to request the day surgery nurse give it to me every month now lol?  Anyway back to yesterday morning (you're thinking finally) where I'm reading my mail.  In the mail is this card from all my day surgery nurses.  I am fairly certain I received card from the other hospital last time but this one wasn't just signed or noted with "hope you're feeling better".  Each nurse wrote a personal paragraph pertaining to our interactions that day and I was touched to say the least.  I teared up almost immediately and while I'm not denying that Lupron is likely partially to blame I still felt really special in that moment because these strangers cared.  (Lupron update: still crying at the Olympics, old GH episodes and inconsolable during ASPCA commercials and episodes of I'm having their baby)
About the time I'd recovered from that teary spell I decided to log into my Etsy account for some more wish listing for future baby C.  During the hours I have spent looking at all of the Zoology coordinating nursery accessories I fell in love with a bedding design that was a bit more complicated than my basic sewing skills would accommodate.  I wasn't even searching for bedding I was looking for wall art and there it was.  So I sent an inquiry to a woman offering custom bedding in the zoology fabric pallet.  I explained what I was looking for and that I was curious if she could recreate the picture and what she would charge.  She responded almost immediately stating she could absolutely make the set quoting me what I considered a fair price for the work.  I explained that we were adopting and that I wasn't quite ready to place the order right now.  I gave her the link to our blog and told her we would love for her to follow our journey and share it with friends/family/etc.  The email response I got this particular morning had me in tears again.  She thanked me for sharing the blog and told me how much she had enjoyed reading it.  Infertility had touched her life too through friends and family and she sympathized with what we were going through.  As if I wasn't touched already that she had taken the time to email this to me the next part was more than I was prepared for.  She wants to offer us the exact bedding set of my dreams at a discounted rate because she knows adoption is expensive and that every little bit saved helps.  She doesn't even know us and yet she wants to help make our dreams come true.  How can I thank her enough?  I want to start by giving her the recognition she deserves.  Please check out her Etsy shop, Nursery Dreams.  The items are out of this world adorable and I know many of my readers are new mothers and/or expectant mothers.  It is people like her that help to keep me believing in the good in people.
This brings me to my final teary eyed but also exciting moment. Clearly it was a BIG day :)
I also happen to have a few adoption themed products in my Etsy favorites and while scrolling down to see the shipping cost on this particular item I came across a description that explained these were being sold as a way to help fund their adoption and if you wanted to follow along please check out their blog.  YES PLEASE!  So of course I had to check out the blog as adoptive mommy bloggy world has become my new reality  Turns out they are in the same part of the adoption process as we are, how cool!  What's even cooler is the fact that I may have found my Friend for Adoption buddy.  I could not be more excited!!  Knowing someone else that is going through exactly what you are exactly when you are is priceless.  So many of you have been so wonderful with sharing this blog and getting your friends and family on board I can't resist helping my new friend states away.  Please check out the items she is selling to help fund her adoption.  They are adorable and adoption is beautiful!


Please don't stop sharing our blog.  The more people we reach the better our chances of finding the little one that God has created for us.  And don't forget about our rummage fundraiser.  We are still collecting clutter!!  Just email us and we will arrange to come pick up anything you are willing to donate!  God Bless and YAY for tomorrow being Friday!

And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. Matthew 18:5

1 comment:

  1. It is so wonderful that they were so good to you! Good luck with everything and I sincerely mean that!

    ReplyDelete