Monday, August 20, 2012

Did you know?

Announcing that you are pregnant or in our case adopting is like opening the flood gates for a lifetime of unsolicited parenting advice, pretty much until the day you die. I mean did you know kids are a lot of work?  Do you know how messy they are?  Are you sure you are prepared for all of the patience they require because they can really test your patience at times.  I'm sorry have you ever had a puppy?  Or better yet two at one time?  Anyone who has survived the puppy years is well prepared for the patience a child requires.  Don't believe me? 
Our first puppy Maio found a raised bump in our kitchen floor while we were sitting at the kitchen table eating dinner.  After a short time we realized he was being awfully quiet.  That's because he was busy chewing a hole in our kitchen floor!!!  While I was less than pleased about the unexpected home repair expense I did end up with a beautiful new kitchen floor so see, it all worked out. 

Our rescue lab Cassie immediately bonded with Don and had intense separation anxiety for quite some time after we brought her home.  She would get so worked up when we put her in her crate to leave for work that we decided to try leaving her out.  She was completely house broken and we did a quick once over to make sure everything was out of reach.  What's the worst that could happen right?

This used to be a feather pillow.  And now it looks like someone killed a bird in my living room. 
Despite having a dog sitter come over and let them out and play with them everyday they still had far too much energy to have free reign over the house.  So back in their crates they went.  I'm not going to lie it has been really nice coming home and not wondering what item will have been eaten or ripped to shreds and Cassie has adjusted really well.  But this just leads to super sneaky stealth mission impossible Labrador puppies when they are on the loose.  Tonight I get home from work and am sitting on the floor playing with Bella when I notice something under the couch that looks strange.  I pull the couch forward and ...


OMG ... is that red ink you ask?  YES THAT IS RED INK!!!  It is red ink that has partially dried under my incredibly heavy reclining sofa while I am home alone.  And in the process of investigating I have managed to spread the wet ink all over the floor and it is drying as we speak! 
Okay don't panic you got this.  I wiped up the wet ink I can reach and was left with this ...

So I over this with a towel and use my Superwoman muscles to flip over the couch and find the source.  I wipe up the trail I left, clean the feet of the couch and then return to this large red seemingly permanent ink stain on my beautiful hardwood floors.  Deep breath and GOOGLE.
Google tells me to try,
Baking soda and a touch of water ... no dice
Toothpaste and a toothbrush ... no dice
Super Strong hold hairspray ... no dice
Google had one more suggestion but at this point I was beginning to resolve myself to the fact that I was the proud owner of a brand new giant red ink stain.
After HOURS of scrubbing and elbow grease ...
I have never in my life seen such a handsome bald man. He is my hero and I am forever grateful. While it was not a complete success as you can see it is a vast improvement.

So what was that you were saying about kids? :)

1 comment:

  1. That reminds me just recently when Owen was being too quiet upstairs. I heard a loud noise, and went to see what happened. He climbed up the hall closet and got my basket of nail polish. He dropped the basket, and one broke...of course it was the deep red one. It looked like someone was murdered in the hallway. I googled and tried everything. After a few hours, it was better, but not gone totally. You'll be fine!!

    ReplyDelete