Saturday, January 4, 2014

All things Pink!

So we haven't really talked about the pink elephant in the room since our Christmas post so now seems like a pretty good time to elaborate :)
It was a chilly November Sunday ... I mean all good stories start that way right?
In all seriousness Don and I were at a birthday party for one of his cousin's children and typically parties (in my family) are considered "no phone zones" per my mother.  So I didn't have my phone on me nor was I concerned about what I might be missing while we were there.  Luke was loving watching all the kids play and we were having some quality adult conversation.
About half way through the party Don comes over and asks if I have my phone on me.  No?  He says that a friend of my mom's has been trying to get a hold of me and just text his phone.  Thinking this was pretty out of the ordinary I thought it might be best to go check my phone.
Sure enough I had text messages, Facebook messages, Facebook posts ... you name it.  This must really be important!  I text her back and never in a million ba-gillion years expected to read what I got back.
"Hey Amanda, a friend of my daughter's is expecting and would like you and Don to consider adopting her daughter due in March.  Are you looking to take on another one?  Would you be open to meeting her?"
Oh my stars!! Immediate butterflies ... prehistoric sized butterflies ... in my tummy ... competing with my now racing heart rate!  I could hardly even form a sentence to explain to Don what was going on.  In fact I don't think I did say anything!  I just stood there showing him the message on my phone. 
Almost afraid of the response I might get (keep in mind here Luke was only 5 months old) I looked up at him and said "Are you ready to do this again?"  and he said ...
"ABSOLUTELY ... let's do this!"
I have the best, most amazing, miraculous partner on the planet.  I think in that moment I was more in love with him than ever before.  As I recall this memory there may or may not have been hearts and stars flying around that room.  Ah, enough with the mushy stuff you all get it.
So we said yes and about 30 minutes later I was receiving texts from our beautiful birth mama.
We text back and forth all night and arranged to meet the following Sunday.  You have no idea how long that week seemed to take! 
She came to our home with her sweet super supportive boyfriend and we just seemed to click!  I feel like we have a big/little sister kind of relationship.  It's very different from Luke's adoptive situation but equally as amazing.  God is so incredibly good.
We talked for hours that night and I had a good feeling about it all along but what sealed the deal?  She conceived the very same night our Lucas was born.  That cannot be a coincidence.  Well that's what I'm telling myself anyway.
So if you've been trying to figure out the math all along let me help ... our babies will be 9 months (give or take) apart.  Yep from March to June every year they will be the same age. 
Blessed ... beyond blessed. 
We have had the amazing pleasure of accompanying her to multiple doctor appointments where we get to hear the little beauty's heart beat.  One of the coolest things we have ever experienced!  And in another week we get to see her via live ultrasound.  I am either going to pee my pants with excitement or cry like a lunatic.  Stay tuned for that post ;)
So there you have it.  We are paper pregnant with a perfect little 30.5 week baby girl and playing the name game.  We had 4 possible names when we met Lucas for the first time so in keeping with tradition we would like 4 possibilities for this peanut as well.  It is our hope that one will speak to us after meeting her just like it did for Luke.
If you think about it over the next few months please pray for our birth mother and her family.  Pray that she will continue to experience smooth sailing in her pregnancy and that God protects her heart as she makes this awesomely brave decision for herself and her daughter.  Pray that she finds the support she needs from her family and close friends and that she feels comfortable turning to us for anything else she may need. 
(Luke didn't allow me time to proofread ... sorry in advance for errors)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you and your family. This little girl will be lucky to have you two for parents. I can't wait to see photos. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome! Prayers for you and your family. Prayers for the birth mother as well :)

    ReplyDelete