Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Baby Gift on a Budget

So it's true what they say about never knowing where you might meet your birth mother.  My family is a prime example of this.  Nobody blink because I'm about to lose you in this relation train.  My aunts adopted my brother's wife's sister's baby.  Get the connection??  The G man turned one this past week and I wanted to make him something special.  I asked my aunt what he needs (knowing there is nothing this blessed baby doesn't already have) and she suggested beginner flashcards.  Now I know these aren't expensive but I instantly saw a way to make them special while saving money.
I started with poster board in primary colors.  Rotary blade is not ideal but I was under a time crunch and didn't think far enough ahead to use the paper cutter at work. 
I took pictures of objects around the house and had them printed in the true digital size prints. 
I used return address labels to print the name of each object in a reader friendly font.
I picked up these thermal laminating pouches at Wal-Mart for around $2.50 per pouch.  Each pouch will make 20 cards.  If you are thinking who has a thermal laminator at home no worries there either.  You can pick up this exact model for around $20-$25 and it is useful in so many ways.  It paid for itself with my first project!
I used double sided tape to secure the picture to the poster board and added the label just below.  I placed it into the pouch and ran through the laminator. 
Here is a small sampling of the final result!  I love how they turned out and I know G man will love them as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment