Saturday, March 9, 2013

Backward parenting?

First of all I need to start this by saying how disturbed I am by Google Image search results for parenting an adult. Do you know PlanB was the first thing that came up ... that's offensive! Okay back on topic ...
Since not much is happening in our journey to parenthood at the moment lets talk about the lessons I've been learning during my pseudo parenting journey.  My 19 year old sister has moved in with us and I'm beginning to think I am learning more from this experience than an infant could ever teach me lol.  Now I say pseudo parenting because she is an adult so there are lots of choices and decisions in her life that I will not be part of but ...

On the list of things I wasn't prepared for ... the first boy to come over to the house.  How do we feel about this?  She is an adult but are boys allowed in her room?  Would my mom allow boys in her room if she still lived at home?  Since I had about 20 minutes to figure out the house rules I decided to uphold mom's rules until hubby and I could discuss it further.  Specifically I told her no boys in your room even if you are just friends ... period.  Easy enough right?
New boy comes in, dogs like him, he introduces himself to me ... all is well.  They decide to play board games so they head to the basement and grab a few games and come back up.  To play these games she doesn't take him into her room ... she takes him into the nursery ... and ... closes the door.  Touche ... you got me there.  I did not specifically say no boys in the nursery, with or without the door closed.  Lesson number one: be incredibly specific when laying out house rules so as not to be caught on a technicality. 

Yep ... she got me.  But I was not about to bow out here ... no ... I am still in charge dammit!  So what does a girl do to maintain the upper hand?  Send in reinforcements of course!  I can think of 2 beautiful creatures whose sole existence is to have my back.  Yep I sent in the furry troops.
They look to be enjoying it right?  It's completely okay to be laughing at me right now.  The situation is a work in progress and I am promise you this will not be the last parenting flop I will have to report.  I am however going to get more creative so perhaps someone should warn her :)



No comments:

Post a Comment